Sunday 17 July 2016

Monday of reflection

Today is a real winter's day and even Memphis is a bit bleak. The front page shows how sport is the dominant factor in the average Kiwi's life. A winning game bringing winning dollars to the city's coffers. It is really all they care about, according to the Dom Post.
But I caught this gem of a talk by a favourite writer Patricia Grace, a humble Maori woman who has contributed greatly to the Maori culture in the last thirty years and who is a great writer.
Below, my table companion at Memphis , for a moment anyway...
This Russian activist is a man to be noticed and who is set to bring down the corrupt President Putin, more power to him, Pyotr Pavlensky, I mean!
I am wondering if my French housemate Tanguy may have had this, though more probably his mate Victor who fell five hundred metres to his death from the peak of Mt Taranaki.
This article about near-death experience is so relevant today, and becoming increasingly more so everyday.
The face of a mad-man converted to radical Islam in only a week, it seems, he who was the perpetrator of the truck rampage in Nice on Bastille Day killing over eighty people.
Erdogan is not the hero so many make him out to be....I wonder if his dictatorship will continue. My Turkish friends do not like him at all.

Tonight is Interfaith monthly meeting at Wellington City Council and I arrived early to get one of the several parking spaces available on this cold winter's night in the city. Afterwards I plan to catch a well reviewed Holocaust movie called 'Remember' at the Cuba Lighthouse.

Maisie rang today. Always a welcome call with news of Melbourne which is also going through a cold snap. I reassured her that my plan to quit NZ before the end of the year is still in place and it seems to be coming faster than I thought. I may well now leave by Ocober 1st. if the house falls into place with Julan and Barbara happy to take over my lease.

This holocaust 'revenge' movie is grisly in subject but redeemed by some good acting - a story which needs to be constantly retold.
Interview of Patricia Grace in beautiful Marae at Te Papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment