Monday 25 July 2016

Tuesday Neruda

It is a perfect winter's day today in Wellington. The bay is like a mirror, the air is crisp and I walk the ten minutes around Point Jerningham just enjoying the spectacle of this beautiful city unfold before me.
Memphis is closed again, renovations not finished yet, with the newly polished floor still settling down. So I have a coffee from the their  'little sister' cafe around the corner. Gloria comes to join me and stays only a minute outside as it is not her wont.. The warm sun caresses me gently as the boys, aka Paris and Gideon, are sitting totally animated at the table next to me on the outside space, dragging on their ubiquitous comforting smokes. A perfect day for them too, a day off work and still in the sun drinking coffee. But they do work hard these boys.
Front page news is disturbing, that is, for the pea farmers. A two year ban because of an insect outbreak and they can't risk it being propagated. NZ is vey strict in its quarantine laws. So no local peas for two years, but all imports are still there there so consumers only suffer in their pockets.
Gideon expounding....
Russia wins the roulette to the detriment of world sport and Putin must be rejoicing quietly at home. The drug lords (read Putin!) win again.
Bernie Sanders still has staunch followers and Hillary loses some..it's getting scary! Trump might triumph after all, awrrrgh!
A friendly dog joins our merry band....

Aussie series worth seeing on TV OnDemand. I must remember to have a look. It is an Indigenous led production which looks very, very interesting.
Post Cards from the Edge....
Kapa Haka  group, the champions from Queenstown.

I find these four Maori postcards on my walk to the Paramount to buy yet another pair of unmissable cinema seats. And on the way I drop in for a second cofffee, risky, at MoJo's, but it is nice so I have some toasted gingerbread to accompany it.
Another excellent coffee from St James' MoJos.

Down to the NZFF and I luckily beat the queue to acquire two premier movies, one French and one American, but more later about them. 
Well as is always the case here, I got the two tickets, one to see Isabelle Huppert in her acclaimed  'Elle', and the other is Jim Jarmusch's movie called 'Paterson', about a simple bus driver. But of course with Jarmusch nothing is that simple. They will be a fitting farewell to the festival for me, being on the last two days.

So home in time to catch my all-favourite radio program by Eva Radic, 'upbeat' always interesting and she has fhe best guests ever on her show. So today she has an American director on who is black and gay, who has directed a movie about an autistic boy. It sounds just too good to miss so I jump ontothe website and get a ticket for tomorrow's showing. After all, I don't have a movie for tomorrow anyway, but that makes fifteen films in total and I refuse to succumb to any more temptations although each time I read the fabulous program I see another unmissable film. Really, it is a superb festival and it is obvious that all the cinephiles in Wellington go crazy at this time of the year

One of my favourite Hispanic actors Gael Garcia Bernal has obviously not taken the eponymous role in this important movie about the eventual Nobel Peace laureate, Chilean poet Pablo Neruda who was probably murdered by General Pinochet in the 1973 for having been such an outspoken communist and beloved by so many Chilenos. Bernal, still a young man, took the secondary but fascinating role of the detective appointed to cover Neruda's movements when he was exiled and escaped to Argentina. It should be a great movie and worth the drive out to the Brooklyn Penthouse at 8.30 pm for a late night home. 
It was absolutely fantastic, evoking the times and the craziness of this incredible artist and his rather full  
sexual and political life. A great document recording a great man in Chile's history whom both France and Picasso enormously admired.

No comments:

Post a Comment