Thursday 20 August 2015

First Hobart coffee

After a lovely honey/toast brekkie with David and Rebecca, I decide to leave early and try the Service  Dept in Hobart to renew my licence. But first a coffee at the former Devilish Café, now changed names but still good coffee, served by Patrick, a super confident barista who looks like the world owes him a living.  Very handsome to boot, he makes a mean coffee and will soon quit Hobart for brighter lights I am totally sure. This the story of Tassie which I have well and truly left behind. My good friends have only reinforced this knowledge with some grim stories last night of the sad side of Hobart society. 

Nice coffee and muffin...

Patrick and friend...

Essendon down and out!

Michael Clarke's last stand, still suffering the awful loss of Hughesie, his very best friend.

Hobart architecture on Macquarie Street

Touch of nature in trendy café

Hobart Services immediately give me my renewed licence for five years to be posted to my brother in Sydney - it costs an enormous ten dollars and ten cents! Amazing, simple and cheap, thank you Tassie!

Continuing on my trip of reconnaissance of old Hobart Town I visit Stewart, who is, as ever, planning a cruise, but this time for twenty-eight days on the Mediterranean with fourteen of his closest friends, to celebrate his sixtieth birthday. So what's new?
Then a quick visit to Goulds Naturapathica to see Jason and invite him to sing HU with us all on Saturday morning. As always he can't commit, he may be working - Jason is never available....

I buy some gourmet tea products and nice chocolates for Julian, so with that under control and buy a lovely sour dough loaf from Providore, where I have now arranged to have lunch with Rebecca. The sun is shining and Hobart is at its best. I have time for a brief rest and a mocha at Kafé Kara on Liverpool Street. There is some good shopping in Hobart and prices are a teeny bit less than Wellington I think.

On to an excellent place to have lunch with Rebecca and it is the Providore in Elizabeth - lovely food and great service. After a good lunch Monnie's granddaughter comes on schedule and we go together to Mt Stuart to find Homyra's home. It is in an old lovely house and as she is not there I leave a note for Saturday HU song with the other Eckists. Feeling tired but good, we go back to Rebecca's which is also very close to Louise's home. She comes in for a minute and meets David. A lovely girl, she is now studying journalism at Hobart University and hopefully will make a mark one day.

A few more phone calls and then more soup, and finally we watch the Kiwi  DVD together - a big and successful day over. Tomorrow is Tascahrd, Mary, and the visit to Longley.

No comments:

Post a Comment