Saturday 1 August 2015

Bicester beauty

Aah, to wake up in all the beauty of English countryside. Oxfordshire is indeed a fairy land and I have stayed at Firtree Farmhouse before and it is delightful. Meg and John are fabulous hosts.
Yesterday I was met at the station by Meg in her very ancient Mercedes Benz after an interesting train ride from Brighton via Victoria station and then the underground to Oxford Circus and Marylebone from where I took the Chiltern train service to Bicester.  It was fascinating looking at all the English on their way home for a weekend in the country, or something. It was very different fro Wellington, such self assurance and outward confidence but I wonder if masking something else?

View from my bedroom

Chaise longue where I write this blog

Mon lit à la française

However last night was historic as my friend Monnie in Hobart passed away. Her daughter Debbie phoned me on Viber and wanted me to speak to Monnie in hospital, which I did, to an unconscious women, but I sang her the HU which was the only thing to do and it comforted me and I am sure, her, too. I will not be there for the funeral but it is good as it would be too difficult to be near her daughters at this stage. 
Baraka Bashad dearest Monnie!

Two nudes in bay window

Busy daughter Havana..


and patient Mum....

Ballet Sculpture...in the weekend press.


After lunch on the lawn....

Meg ready for Mass......

As it is Sunday we all went to the Bicester Catholic Church for Mass at 11am this morning. It was a moderately full church and the faithful sang loud and true. I wondered how many of them can continue with this unabashed pagan ritual of turning wine and wafer into the body and blood of Jesus the Redeemer, albeit symbolically. It is all just too much and the Irish celebrant, a stand-in for the resident Indian Parish Priest, gave a less than engaging sermon. It did nothing at all to encourage me to be part of this ancient and out-moded Catholic Church. I am so grateful to have found Eckankar, but the congregation was happy and the atmosphere healthy and insouciant.

After Mass we go home for fresh coffee and bickies under the sun shade, as it was indeed, a wonderfully sunny day in Bicester.  Lots to talk about with these very old friends whom I have known for over forty-five years. Their home and gardens are absolutely beautiful and life here is bucolic bliss. After a light lunch L and I take Havana for a stroll to the playground.

Lots more to talk with L as things are not perfect in her life. But she is young and will work through them. I feel for her though as she has a pure and generous heart.

John's talent as a sculptor...these portrait heads are exceptional!

No comments:

Post a Comment