Monday 27 July 2015

On board...

The take-off happened before I even realised we were in the air...so smooth I had no idea.
Movies were the go so I chose something different, from Cairo, but after a few minutes I could swallow it no longer. Their film industry is such that very few decent original movies get out. This wasan entirely   predictable sort of sexist romp which was boring in the extreme. So I left it and went for a possible winner, a French movie about a gay guy who kisses a girl. Then I found out that he finally falls in love with her, the big twist which the French think they do so well. Only it was clichéd here and really, although it was visually pleasing, the movie was essentially a B grade Airline movie, as I suppose they all are except the classics. Perhaps I should go back to 'All about Eve' and be done with it.


The French 'gay' movie

The first meal was quite OK and of course I ate all of it - but then it was lunch and breakfast combined so I ationalised  the size of it. The one problem with long distance air travel is eating too much, and not getting any sleep. But as we arrive at six pm at Singapore, and take off six hours later, it will be the next leg where I will need some sleep, arriving at Manchester 8am local time, with a full day ahead of me, taking the train to arrive at Richmond to stay with Anna about four fifteen.

Now for a Movie Classic!

The runway...

Me flying to Manchester...beard just there.

Music documentary on Cambodia

'Let they not be Forgotten' was an excellent history of the importance of music in referencing the tragedy that was Cambodia, where nearly all the artists were murdered by Pol Pot under the rule of the communist Khmer Rouge. But music, and the singers, were so important to the morale of the Cambodians that the murderous regime wanted them killed first. They left, all the same, a rich heritage of fifties and sixties pop music which has to be remembered.

Ros Serey Sothea, with a voice of Angels

Face of a QueenRos Sothea

My last movie was also a doco called 'The Lady',  about the life of my twin, Aung San Suu Kyi, popular heroine of Burma who spent fifteen years in home detention after the murderous military takeover in 1962.

This biopic was told by French directorLuc Besson, and he did a great job, especially with the fantastic look-alike of Suu Kyi with the actress playing her  being beyond amazing. The fight goes on, although Suu Kyi is now released, Burma is still under the reign of the Generals in spite of her being the popularly elected leader.

The world, i.e. America and the United Nations, needs to come to their aid, but it seems they are afraid of the consequences to the Burmese people and we certainly don't want a repetition of the Cambodian killing fields. For the record, Suu Kyi was born on the same day and year as I was, so we are in effect, twins and we both just had our seventieth birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment