Wednesday 8 June 2016

Balmy weather, tragic news...


Am at Memphis with Anita and Paul calls in to say hullo. He is looking good in spite of a food reaction
from a hamburger he recently ate. Like me, he is getting to the stage of being very aware of what goes into his stomach. I am trying a new toastie at Memphis this morning but things here are practically aways of the highest quality.

Last night it was a small turn-up at Scottish Dance and I am thinking now of attending the Winter Solstice party the Ngaio Club are having on June 23 at The Pines at Houghton Bay. I'm sure it will be a good night of food and dance its only problem that I don't like eating much at night. But then of course you dance it all off later. Perhaps it will be one of my many farewells I am now putting into place having decided that December 10 is approximately my departure date.

I have my Scottish Dance friends, my ballroom dance partners,  my Tiwhanawhana whanau, my ECK mob, my Memphis family, my swimming mates, all these will need to be farewelled having played an important role in my long sojourn in this amazing country.

And very tragic news in the Post about yet another fatality on the peak of Mt Taranaki, a notorious dangerous but attractive climb. I was hoping it wasn't my ex housemate who told me he was climbing it...lo and behold I visit his workplace to discover yes,  it is his friend who fell, and he was left surviving. It's going to be very tough for him with the survivor guilt pattern liable to kick in. He will need some counselling and I hope he gets it. As he has left the house I can't help him much unfortunately.
The climate here is actually improving with the predicted climate change so my move back home will be fraught with acclimatisation.
A typical Kiwi overcoming a perceived disability to make a career out of motivational speaking.
Tragedy at Mt Taranaki, this fateful mountain for the ingénues, it has just claimed the life of Tanguy's best copain, Victor. How T will recover is unknown as he has just left my nest and is incommunicado.
The weirdest things happen in the crazy country....
Rueben conferring with Dave about a coffee recipe...?
The other face of the Kiwis, the Mongrel Mob is around Wellington in Petone.
Here is a smart young Wellingtonian, posing on his pushbike, looking uber-cool.
Hillary on the last lap, but still a long fight ahead of her...
This riot in Port Moresby is indicative of the  bad government but they don't know how to rid themselves of their crooked PM. Replace him with another one perhaps?
The Rugby fanaticism of this country is in everyday news...
These three young Kiwis will dream to grow up and one day perhaps become All Blacks, the supreme accolade in New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment