Thursday 23 June 2016

Sunny Friday in winter

Well the end of another week, nearly, which has sped by like all the others, and I find myself again at Memphis sitting today in the large window looking down Dixon Street. 

The handsome A.J. serves me my long versato coffee and I look at today's Dominion Post. And a bonus today, A.J. gives me a neck massage on serving me my coffee! Whare else can you get a coffee and massage, in the world? Such is the joy of Memphis.

 Nothing much on page one, so I flick through to find a large photo, below, of a gay man refused a rental premises because of his sexual preference, in the Hamilton region of the north island. Yes it is still happening, homophobia, fear of the glbti community which has fuelled many incidents of gay bashing and murders which have happened here in the past many years. New Zealand has advanced laws in pesonal freedom, as it should, but in reality, the county is in the dark ages. This is indeed hard to believe, but the picture says it all.
And the country has this PM who is laughed at everyday, and not just by the cartoonist!
Poor Wellington, a beautiful city which suffers from bureaucratic infighting and bungling which have led to gigantic costs in the Basin Reserve fiasco, and it will probably be same for the airport extension affair. They don't seem to be able to do things right or  get to a real consensus on big matters which affect the running of the city. I would hate to be in the public service of the city, it would drive me crazy.
The Middle Earth at Wellington Airport, great idea, but.....
An example of the police force at its worst.
The Orlando killing now looks completely like a vengeful hate killing, but you can never get away from the homophobia of the Islam State, and the fact that Islam does not permit or recognise homosexuality.
Democratic Party vainly trying to bring in gun law reform.
Memphis in the lens.....
Last night at The Pines where a not so exciting dinner preceded some pleasant Scottish Country dancing.
A late bruschetta lunch on my tranquil balcony - nearly finished the amazing book, 'Traitor', by a Kiwi writer living in Western Australia, Stephen Daisley. This is his debut novel, a prize winner, and quite, quite astounding.
As it's Friday night after the HU song I decide to see an Irish movie at the Cuba Lighthouse, about the eighties music scene in Dublin. I am sure it will be great fun.
Well it was an excellent movie - no big stars, great dialogue, a coming of age story beautifully told and  wonderfully   acted!,

No comments:

Post a Comment