Saturday 27 February 2016

Summer Festival at Hongoeka

But first market day at Newtown and a coffee at the Coffee Shop..
We are all meeting at ten-thirty at NZPC to drive to Plimmerton, then about a half hour drive to the Marae where at one pm approximately we will be peforming. In Maori time, this is very flexible, so I have done my shopping beforehand as it may be a late return

..entering this café
Refugees arriving in Wellington - too few by far, say many.  

Anither big unsung Kiwi star turn, whose name we don't all know. She starred wih Kate Winslett in Heavenly Creatures and then went to Hollywood for an interesting TV career.

Now here is a true eccentric brilliant Kiwi. A real Polymath, Bill Bricknell strode to his own tune and left a real heritage in art and sculpure

Everyone loves Adele - she has such a voice and can say anything with her cockney voice.

Our mob at Hongoeke Marae with Kevin at the helm...

Falega and Kassie relaxing ofter our gig is over

Chanel and Renée in preparation..... 

...the seagulls enjoying some lunch!

Today's artistic effort was nothing short of a miracle given our rushed prep, but still under the expert and patient guidance of Kevin and Chanel we pulled it off. A good crowd was there at the Hongoeke Marae fund-raiser and they enjoyed our six waiata and poi performance. It was my ice-breaker, but in spite of not being word-perfect, we had the others  to cover for us, and we were in the back row. 
Kevin was happy with the result and a few of us went down to the water for a sandwich after and entertained the seagulls. This is a a picture post-card place, Plimmerton, and will one day be a very pricey holiday resort no doubt.

I also cannot believe I  spent midday in the sun again without sunscreen, as the day started cloudy. This is my final lesson. And I am hoping my nose won't explode ever again!  But it was a great day and on my return I went to see 'Peggy Guggenheim' at the Cuba Lighthouse. It was a great doco as Helen E. had predicted, so I'm glad I made the effort to see it. Edmund White featured as ever, he knows everyone, and it was nice to see a bit of Dali and his wife Gala on the screen.  She was a rare one Peggy, and one day I hope to visit her palazzo museum in Venezia!
Home to an early night and a good sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment